In 2017, a story about She-ra, the seven-year-old lab mix of Frank Bauer had consumed a bottle of construction glue really alarmed people in protecting their pets. Besides containing toxic chemicals, the glue expands several times its original size once it hardens.
Frank immediately called the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) and took She-ra to the local veterinarian. She-ra had undergone surgery to remove the large blockage and fortunately the next day she was sent home with no long-term injuries.
She-ra’s story shows that when pets ingest toxic substances there are severe complications that can arise, as well as how easily that can occur with a wide range of household items. In recent years, the APCC has received hundreds of calls about pets ingesting construction glue alone.
Based on the number of calls received by the APCC, the most common pet-ingestion danger involves over-the-counter medications. Almost 40% of the more than 300,000 calls to the APCC hotline last year centered on the consumption of over-the-counter and prescription human medications including ibuprofen, naproxen, and cold medicines. Cats are particularly sensitive to acetaminophen, the active ingredient in many over-the-counter pain relievers.
Every year the APCC releases a “Top Toxins” list to provide critical insight for pet owners, veterinarians, and shelters nationwide. Here are the top pet toxins:
All pet owners always need to be aware of and keep these poisonous and harmful substances out of their pets’ reach.
In addition to keeping these poisons substances out of pets, owners must be essential to recognize the symptoms of toxicosis which may include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures. These symptoms conditions will help you immediately recognize and save your pets lives by contact your nearest veterinarian or call the APCC’s 24-hour hotline at (888) 426-4435, which receives an average of 1,200 calls every day. Please keep these numbers in an easy-to-find location for quick access.
National Poison Prevention Week reminds people to keep toxic items and materials away from pets, but it also encourages us to share these warnings with friends, family, and colleagues in your communities, and I hope you do. Not any owner wants the emergency case to their pets like what happened to She-ra, but it totally can. For the benefit of you and your pets, please be careful, be safe, and be prepared.